selling GPL sources

Ian Lance Taylor ian at airs.com
Tue Sep 20 03:55:52 UTC 2005

"Guilherme C. Hazan" <guich at superwaba.com.br> writes:

>  >> I'm aware of a program that uses the GPL license and the author made
>  >> the binaries free but not the sources. He asks a fee for the sources
>  >> (about 100usd).
>  >>
>  >> Is this legal or is he infringing the GPL license?
>  >
>  > The GPL permits "a charge no more than your cost of physically
>  > performing source distribution."  If his cost is 100USD or greater,
>  > than he is not infringing.  If his cost is less than 100USD, then he
>  > is infringing.
>
> Sorry, isnt the opposite? If it is 100 or less, then its ok,
> otherwise, if is more than 100, then is illegal?

I think I got it right.  The distributor of a program under the GPL is
allowed to charge anything up to his or her cost to make a copy.  If
his cost is $200, then it is OK for him to charge $100 (or indeed
anything up to $200).  If his cost is $50, then it is not OK for him
to charge $100 (but he could charge $50).

But of course what is going on here may be perfectly OK.  You have
omitted almost all the important details.

Ian