Status of ACE License Submission

Douglas C. Schmidt schmidt at dre.vanderbilt.edu
Sun Sep 18 14:42:22 UTC 2005

Hi Alex,

> >    Can someone send me a URL for the New BSD License?  As long as it
> > says the same things I don't have a problem with using it.  However, we
> > still need to add some other things to the DOC license to cover certain
> > things that are important to the legal departments at Vandrbilt, et
> > al. (such as making it explicit that Vanderbilt assumes no liability for
> > anything that goes awry when using this software).  I assume this isn't
> > an issue, right?
>
> It's at:
>  http://www.opensource.org/licenses/bsd-license.php
>
> I'm afraid if you add stuff, it's then not an OSI-approved license.
>
> But the BSD license already contains a warranty disclaimer. Hopefully
> that will be good enough.

Unfortunately, the Vanderbilt University, Washington University, and UC
Irvine lawyers asked us to explicitly mention some things in the license
at

http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/ACE-copying.html

so we can't change that.  Given the large number of non-BSD licenses
listed at

http://www.opensource.org/licenses/

and the fact that we already modified the DOC group license in response
to feedback from you folks it seems odd that you're taking such a
restricted view.  If there are specific things in the current DOC group
license that are showstoppers please let me know.

Thanks,

     Doug