External deployment / Otherwise Make Available (was Re: OVPL summary)

Alex Bligh alex at alex.org.uk
Thu Sep 15 22:32:03 UTC 2005

Larry,

--On 15 September 2005 15:03 -0700 Lawrence Rosen <lrosen at rosenlaw.com>
wrote:

> Is the sender of email potentially liable
> for patent infringement if his mail flows through a Cisco router that
> infringes a patent? Of course not.

This is precisely my point. Is the "user" (word chosen deliberately
to upset) of a webmail system liable for patent infringement if the
webmail system infringes a patent? Of course not.

But if we adopt that definition of use, then quite clearly the OSL licensed
webmail software is not being "externally deployed" and the external
deployment stuff adds nothing.

Alex