OVPL summary

Alex Bligh alex at alex.org.uk
Wed Sep 14 15:37:37 UTC 2005

--On 14 September 2005 06:40 -0700 Brian C <brianwc at ocf.berkeley.edu> wrote:

> Also, I stopped following the lengthy OVPL discussion because of that
> length, so this may have been addressed, but another way to frame the
> concern is: To what extent does the OVPL's grant of additional rights to
> the initial developer thwart the rights of subsequent developers to fork?

It does not, at all. In the "normal" scenario (where forked changes are
published) there are precisely no additional obligations on the authors.

What 3.3 does in effect is grant additional rights to the ID, without
imposing material obligations on other developers (except where they
are not publishing distributed changes, and in those case the obligations
are relatively minor).

Note I also disagree with the premise that *everyone* thinks the OVPL
complies with the OSD, however I think it's fair to say most people do (or
do now, after much discussion). See my earlier summary dated 27 Jul 2005.

Alex