Submitted for Approval: OSL 3.0 and AFL 3.0

Chris Zumbrunn chris at czv.com
Mon Sep 12 10:18:16 UTC 2005

On Sep 12, 2005, at 11:52 AM, Alex Bligh wrote:

> I believe that if the facts support it (as per the example you were
> thinking of), i.e. where there is a single GPL'd library clearly
> designed
> to link to other things, there is a good case that linking does not
> create a derived work.

I don't think it is "derived work" that triggers the snowball effect in
the GPL license.

Clause 2 b) of the GPL says: "You must cause any work that you
distribute or publish, that in whole or in part contains or is derived
from
the Program or any part thereof, to be licensed as a whole at no charge
to all third parties under the terms of this License."

The trigger is the "contains" not the "is derived".

Chris