License Committee Report for September 2005

Russell Nelson nelson at crynwr.com
Mon Sep 12 06:00:47 UTC 2005

[ note Reply-To ]

I'm the chair of the license approval committee.  This is my report
for the current set of licenses under discussion.  If anybody
disagrees with my assessment of the committee's conclusions, say so
promptly.

I bring two concerns from the committee to the board:

  o Country-specific Warranty disclaimers are a nasty tarball that the
    board needs to head off.  I (speaking for myself) suggest the
    board request a report from the license approval committee on
    suggested actions.

  o The three criteria (readable, reusable and unique) that the board
    passed and published in March got accidentally deleted in August.
    They need to be restored to their proper place.  Most
    license-discuss members seem to believe that that place is in the
    OSD.  There is not a consensus on this, though.

--

Title: Fair License
Submission: http://crynwr.com/cgi-bin/ezmlm-cgi?3:msp:9784:hhkgifnkgiiejnigaakm

--

Title: oxGLODE
Submission: http://crynwr.com/cgi-bin/ezmlm-cgi?3:mss:9769:200503:mobnofemphjfnplghkjm

--

The ACE License is a hard case because it's duplicative, not very
readable and not reusable.  It doesn't recognize that some authors may

Title: ACE License
ReSubmission: http://crynwr.com/cgi-bin/ezmlm-cgi?3:msp:10249:idpbfhfhfaihfnffhpae
Submission: http://crynwr.com/cgi-bin/ezmlm-cgi?3:mss:9551:200502:oaoffccikahegfoebbbi
License: in the submission
Comments: Rod Dixon's earlier suggestions were incorporated into the
    resubmission.
Recommend: approval

--

Australia needs different warranty disclaimer wording.  This is a huge
nasty ball of wax.  How many different warranty disclaimers are there

Title: OZPLB Licence
ReSubmission: http://crynwr.com/cgi-bin/ezmlm-cgi?3:mss:9498:200502:ibddhmkdckpieiodmcjd
Submission: http://crynwr.com/cgi-bin/ezmlm-cgi?3:mss:8849:200410:jneejnfcgpacdjcfbokf
License: In the submission, as proposed.  Existing license is http://nicta.com.au/ozplb_licence.cfm
Comments: Brendan Scott suggests that disclaimers should go into a
    rider:
    http://crynwr.com/cgi-bin/ezmlm-cgi?3:mss:10228:200505:emhpkgkiogbojalnmdef
Recommend: approval

--

The OVPL consists of two sets of changes to the CDDL.  One set changes
policy, and the other set changes implementation.  I have suggested

Aside from Andy's concern listed below, everybody thinks the license
complies with the OSD.

Title: Open Vendor Public License (OVPL)
Submission: http://crynwr.com/cgi-bin/ezmlm-cgi?3:mss:10257:200506:gmbfhookcommfnneakhi
License: http://openvendor.org/Licenses/Open_Vendor_Public_License
Comments: The rationale for the license is at:
    http://openvendor.org/kb.x?T=15

    Andy Wilson is not sure that the license's mandatory license-back
    falls within the letter and spirit of the OSD.
    http://crynwr.com/cgi-bin/ezmlm-cgi?3:mss:10642:200508:hlfamcihnmnahfmglhfm

Recommend: rejection if you think that the "Readable" criteria means
    that a derived license should minimize changes even to the point
    of not renumbering sections.
Recommend: approval if you think that the "Readable" criteria means
    that the license *itself* should be readable even if it has to
    make changes with no legal import.
Recommend: deferral if you want to wait to see what Simon and Alex's
    negotiations produce in the way of changes to the CDDL.

--

Title: Open Vendor Lessor Public License(OVLPL)
Submission: http://crynwr.com/cgi-bin/ezmlm-cgi?3:mss:10257:200506:gmbfhookcommfnneakhi

--

Title: The Kannel Software License, Version 1.0
Submission: http://crynwr.com/cgi-bin/ezmlm-cgi?3:mss:10533:200508:pphogiheomchblkkndnb

--

Title: CeCILL -
Submission: http://crynwr.com/cgi-bin/ezmlm-cgi?3:mss:10264:200506:cieogbcnmhijcoodgdfa

--

Title: Open-Realty License
Submission: http://crynwr.com/cgi-bin/ezmlm-cgi?3:mss:10237:200505:ggmklfgghgeljkpkocmb

--
--my blog is at     blog.russnelson.com         | with some experience
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok |     you know what to do.