Submitted for Approval: OSL 3.0 and AFL 3.0

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Mon Sep 12 03:49:46 UTC 2005

Gordon Kindlmann wrote:
> For my prospective users, however, can you give some more
> clarification of how OSL 3.0 applies (or does not apply) to
> an executables formed by linking with my library, ideally by
> comparison to the other licenses?  When you say above that
> "This license operates likes the LGPL", you are not saying
> that something like LGPL Section 6 kick in, correct?

Linking to a library is essential for its use; a library serves no other
purpose. The owners of such libraries must intend for their licensees to
link to them (however the term "link" is defined technically), and their
licenses should make that point clear.

The LGPL specifies how libraries work in practice using rather complicated
technical terms of computer art that have proven difficult to extrapolate
into modern applications.

I prefer to view mere linking as the creation of a collective work, "in
which a number of contributions, constituting separate and independent works
in themselves, are assembled into a collective whole." 17 USC 101.

OSL 3.0 section 1(a) authorizes the copying of your library into a
collective work without imposing reciprocity obligations on your licensees
for their own independent creations.

OSL 3.0 section 1(b), on the other hand, deals with situations in which your
licensees need "to translate, adapt, alter, transform, modify, or arrange"
your library, thereby creating Derivative Works. Reciprocity applies ("kicks
in," to use your phrase) if your licensees distribute their Derivative Works
of your library (see OSL 3.0 § 1(c)).

OSL 3.0 accomplishes what the LGPL accomplishes, but by distinguishing
between collective and derivative works instead of describing technological
specifics.

OSL 3.0, of course, can be used for other software besides libraries. It
operates generally the way the MPL, CDDL and similar licenses work, although
those licenses usually speak of "Modifications" to "a file" rather than the
six verbs used in OSL 3.0 section 1(b) as applied to an "Original Work." To
get the same effect as with those licenses, license each "file" as an
"Original Work" under OSL 3.0.

Sometimes OSL 3.0 can even be an alternative to the GPL. For example, many
people believe you can *link* a device driver to GPL-licensed Linux without
having to disclose its source code. If that is the interpretation a licensor
seeks, OSL 3.0 makes it less ambiguous.

/Larry

Lawrence Rosen
Rosenlaw & Einschlag, technology law offices (www.rosenlaw.com)
3001 King Ranch Road, Ukiah, CA 95482
707-485-1242  *  fax: 707-485-1243
Author of "Open Source Licensing: Software Freedom and
   Intellectual Property Law" (Prentice Hall 2004)
   [Available also at www.rosenlaw.com/oslbook.htm]