License Proliferation

Matthew Seth Flaschen superm40 at comcast.net
Thu Sep 8 02:46:06 UTC 2005

>It's been a few weeks since I read every license, but I'll go out on a
>limb and say that the GPL is the only license that tries to dictate
>the terms of other applicable licenses.

You seem to be looking at the GPL from a very strange angle.  The GPL
doesn't dictate the terms of any other license.  Essentially, all it
says is that derivative works of GPL code can be distributed if they are
licensed under the GPL.  It's that simple.

>>From one perspective, the GPL is a strong tool to prevent license
>proliferation.  You know that once you see the GPL, you can stop
>looking for other license, because you know that there cannot be any
>more restrictions.

Like I said, there are really no restrictions, just rights.  If you
don't want to distribute GPLed code, just don't.  You'll have the same
restrictions on distribution of your programs that you had before you
saw the GPL.  Or, if you want to, you can redistribute the package
intact, or make a new version and distribute it under the GPL.  Neither
your own rights to your programs nor any other licenses are restricted
at all.
-Matt Flaschen