License Proliferation

Rod Dixon, J.D., LL.M. roddixon at cyberspaces.org
Fri Sep 2 21:23:53 UTC 2005

A few thoughts on license proliferation...

I read the minutes of the license proliferation committee recently
identified by Laura.  My question is would someone briefly identify how the
use of "tiers" will resolve the license proliferation problem? Assuming that
there is a clear answer, why is that discussion proceeding before a more
general discussion about the nature of the problem identified as "license
proliferation.?"

It seems to me that Larry Rosen's document on license proliferation is a
very clear statement of what the problem really is; namely that the ease of
code sharing among different open source projects is hindered/burdened by
too many licenses with unclear or conflicting terms. I am not so sure that
casting this problem as  "license proliferation" accurately captures what is
being identified, but a concretely defined problem is certainly helpful in
developing a solution.

Rightly, Larry points out in paragraph 9 of his document that there are
limits to resolving this problem because an important aspect of open source
licensing includes the promotion of diverse business models, which
necessitates diversity in licensing (perhaps in ways that are not
predictable).  The perception is that open source is more tolerant of
business model diversity than free software, if this perception is
inaccurate, then license proliferation may be more easily resolved than one
might expect.  If, however, open source is going to continue to be open to
diverse business models, then easing the burden on code sharing because of
license conflicts (perceived and real) may require the type of robust
disussion that Larry's document is intended to promote. Although there is
great reluctance to update the OSD, doing so may also provide a viable
solution. For example, the OSD could include a definition of terms section
that defines words or phrases that have been the source of obstacles to code
sharing.  In addition, drafters (licensors) of new or revised licenses could
be required to use the terms defined in the OSD with the requirement that
approved licenses containing such terms have the meaning identified in the
OSD. At any rate, this is my attempt to move the discussion forward.

-Rod Dixon