License Proliferation

Robin 'Roblimo' Miller robin at roblimo.com
Fri Sep 2 13:38:06 UTC 2005

> That's an interesting idea, but I'd suggest that simply using "number
> of projects that use the license" as the criterion is not the best
> approach - it simply shows what's trendy. The test of a license is
> surely how many people are willing to participate in the project
> that's licensed under it, both as developers and as deployers.

No reason not to break that data out, too. But just as looking at trends
tells you what is "trendy," looking the number and users of projects
licensed under a particular license may also produce meaningless data.

Example: Let's set up a hypothetical project called "OpenOffice.org"
that's  so wildly popular that I've just finished writing a book* about
it .  Now let's look at another hypothetical project called PREDICT that
helps track/predict satellite orbits.

PREDICT will never have as many users as OpenOffice.org, but this
doesn't mean the GPL -- PREDICT's license -- is less valuable or viable
than the one OpenOffice.org uses.

A project's popularity may have nothing to do with its license.

- Robin 'Roblimo' Miller
Editor in Chief, OSTG

* 'Point & Click OpenOffice.org' will be available from all major (and
many minor) booksellers in mid-November.