FW: OPEN Source

Ian Lance Taylor ian at airs.com
Tue Nov 29 03:51:29 UTC 2005

"Todd Premeaux" <rpremeaux1 at houston.rr.com> writes:

> Unless I am way of base, wasn't the term 'open source' used by a group of
> people who gathered in the early days of Apple, to show what they have
> learned and could do?

No.

The term "open source" (in the context of software) was invented
because people found the term "free software" too confusing ("free
software" is not free as in having no price, but free as in providing
freedom to users; i.e., "free as in speech, not as in beer").

Here is a history of the start of "open source" and the Open Source
Initiative:
    http://opensource.org/docs/history.php

Ian