Questions to OSI Board quorum

Michael Bernstein webmaven at cox.net
Thu Nov 17 04:51:38 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-11-16 at 09:17 -0800, David Barrett wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 8:44 am, Rishab Aiyer Ghosh wrote:
> >
> > i would then question why the OVPL would be necessary, if its key
> > attribute (grant-back) can be opted out of.
>
> The benefit is it reduces the administrative overhead of harvesting
> physical contributor agreements.
>
> Again, I'm not trying to force anyone to do anything they wouldn't
> already do.  I'm just trying to make it easier for all involved.
> Likewise, I'm not claiming it's an enormous improvement; it's just a
> small step in a direction that is particularly important to me.

There was nothing wrong with your goal as such, but the proposed means
were a bad trade-off: A major licensing vulnerability for bad-faith
actors to exploit in return for some minor convenience improvement for
good-faith actors.

Isn't this the same kind of trade-off that gave us Microsoft Word macro
viruses and Outlook email worms?

- Michael Bernstein