Questions to OSI Board quorum

David Barrett dbarrett at quinthar.com
Tue Nov 15 20:04:23 UTC 2005

Russell Nelson wrote:
> David Barrett writes:
>  > Would the OSI approve such a license?
>
> It still discriminates.  The contributor would have to say to the
> current maintainer "I wish to opt-out."  If they don't do that, then
> the current maintainer has an obligation to the original contributor.

Everything discriminates; a license exists to favor some parties over
others.  The OSD gives guidance on whether a license discriminates in
favor of the open source community, or against it.

The OSI currently allows very strong discrimination against those who
would take "open" source "closed".

I'm asking if the OSI would allow very weak discrimination against those
who wish to fork by requiring them to first remove a line from the
license before redistributing.

This isn't a contributor agreement issue; we've decided they're ok so
long as the right to fork is preserved.  This is an anti-forking issue.

-david