Assistance/advice in choosing a license for POV-Ray 4.0

Rod Dixon, J.D., LL.M. roddixon at cyberspaces.org
Mon Nov 14 15:33:00 UTC 2005

I may be missing something in the issue you are raising.  Once the library
finds its way onto an end-user's system (regardless of method of
distribution or install), why does it matter to you that a commercial
developer's software may call the dll? I am assuming that the license for
the library would permit the end-user to "use" the library so there should
be no end-user issue. As for the commercial developer, if you want to force
the developer to disclose to the end-user that the dll is being used by the
developer's program, you should solve this by coding the library to display
a notice - - of course, this seems like an odd thing to do, but it's your
library.  On  the other hand, if your concern - -  as the copyright holder
- - is whether the commercial developer may infringe the copyright in the
dll, we are back to a question that is fact-intensive and not well-settled.

- Rod
Rod Dixon
www.cyberspaces.org