Questions to OSI Board quorum

David Ryan david at livemedia.com.au
Mon Nov 14 02:35:55 UTC 2005

It is not clear how to bring business or questions before the OSI
board.  I hope you will accept these questions in leau of any formal
procedure.  I hope these can be answered at the next board meeting
(which I believe is later this week).

The recent decision to reject the OVPL license by the OSI board raises
some other important questions in relation to the open source movement.
I put these questions to the board so that the community can get a clear
understanding of how the OSI board will continue to govern, and
interpret the Open Source Definition(OSD).  This should hopefully ensure
that future similar decisions can be made quickly without the many
months time lag the OVPL encounted.

Question 1)  Can the board be more clear in describing how the OVPL
descriminates?

It is very important that I and others developing licenses have a clear
understanding of how the OVPL descriminates.  This will ensure that
future applications for approval will not make the same mistake.  The
current response is that "parties can never be an 'Original
Contributor'".  This is true of many licenses.  Take for example the
GPL.  No contributor can ever be an 'Original Contributor'.  The OVPL
allows any person or group to take the source code and distribute it
under the same terms as many other licenses.

Question 2) Would a license which requires all contributions to be
licensed uner a BSD style license still be deemed descriminatory?

It is important to gain an understanding of where the OSI board draws
the line of descrimination in this case.  Requiring that all contributor
code be licensed under a BSD provides less specific advantage to the
Initial Developer.  However once again the contributor can never be an
'Original Contributor'.  This change was suggested to the OVPL
previously.  Before starting the process of attempting to modify the
license, I would like to ensure additional time and money is not wasted.

Question 3) As suggested by Ernest Prabhakar.  Will the board admit that
approving the QPL was a mistake; and that if submitted today it would
not be approved?

I believe Earnest put this best. "I completely respect the Board's right
to the interpret the OSD and  make these difficult judgement calls.
However, with that right comes the responsibility to educate the
community about the reasoning, if for no other reason than to prevent
similar problems in the future so that others do not have to go through
what David did."

It is clear that Trolltech no longer require the QPL.  They now supply
all open source versions of their tools using the GPL.  I see no reason
why the board should not remove the QPL from the list of approved licenses.

Question 4) The decision not to approve the OVPL makes it clear that the
OSI believe all developers should have equal rights to the "code
commons" they contribute.  To contribute to many commercial open source
projects requires that a developer sign a "copyright assignment".  Does
the OSI board believe that these practices are descrimantory? If not,
why not?

Rishab Aiyer Ghosh responded to my last email saying that "nothing in
the licence stops me from releasing the rishab-sql distribution of, say,
mysql, with copyright over my contributions and mysql copyright over the
original contributions".  An important aspect here is that Rishab will
never have the same rights and can never be an "Original Contributor" in
exactly the same way as the OVPL.  While these companies do not use the
license to create inequality between contributors and themselves, they
are using other methods to ensure inequality.

Regards,
David.

PS I expect that others from the license discuss forum may wish to
respond to some of these questions.  I would request that the OSI board
responsd to these questions, even if they believe they have been
answered sufficiently by forum members.

--
David Ryan. aka Oobles.
http://www.livemedia.com.au/Blog