Licensing question

David Ryan david at livemedia.com.au
Thu Nov 10 03:38:10 UTC 2005

>thanks all, mind if i ask another question/s?
>
>is this scenario accurate?
>
>1) I develop "Code A" (under LGPL)
>2) Company X downloads my "Code A", edits it, then releases "Code B"
>(under LGPL)
>3) I download their "Code B", edit it or merge it etc with "Code A",
>then releases "Code C" (under LGPL)
>4) "Code C" is still LGPL'd, so repeat this til you're bored

This is correct.

>This seems perfect to me for my current needs. I can get help from
>others, and I can help others, yet still retain control over SOME of
>my code.

The only thing you might want to think about is if you will have any
reason in the future to want to release your "Code A" under a license
different to that of LGPL.  You can do this with "Code A" as you
developed that version and have freedom to choose your license.  However
after you merge "Code B" and create "Code C" you are no longer
able to choose a new license for "Code C".

Having said the above,  the LGPL is liberal in allowing the software to
be used in any software.  You may never have a need to relicense the
code.  Many projects will request that copyright for "Code C" be
assigned back to the initial developer so they have more freedom to
relicense as needed.

Hope that helps,
David.

--