For Approval: Open-Realty License

Brian C brianwc at ocf.berkeley.edu
Wed May 25 12:13:09 UTC 2005

Note: I'm just a lurker and have no say in your license's approval, but
I would suggest:

"If you use Open-Realty in an application you redistribute, the complete
source code for your application must be available and freely[1]
redistributable under a license that is both approved by the OSI as an
'open source' license and under a license that is recognized by the FSF
as a 'free software' license."

Otherwise, under the wording you use below, the FSF might not consider
your license a "free software" license, because of the possibility that
down-stream versions of your code could be licensed under OSI-approved
licenses that the FSF thought were not 'free software' licenses. (There
are not many cases of this, but it has happened in the past.) Now, you
mailed OSI's license list for approval, so you may not care about any of
this, but in general, open source projects are probably better off if
everyone in the community agrees on the status of works under a given
license. (To the extent that's possible).

[1] I would also suggest thinking of a way to purge 'freely' from that
because it is ambiguous. For instance, do you mean: "redistributable at
no cost" or "redistributable without royalty"? You must be careful not
to forbid charging for the software or you will violate the Open Source
Definition, clause 1. If you're just talking about source code then
clause 2 of the Definition suggests "for no more than a reasonable
reproduction cost").

Brian Carver