"De-approve" the Intel Open Source License

Laura Majerus LMajerus at fenwick.com
Tue Mar 29 20:57:50 UTC 2005

I agree that this is a great example of leadership.

Because Intel is the originator of this license, of course they can decide that they do not want to promote it for future use.  And it makes sense that people and organizations who have already released code under a license in the past should be able continue to use the license and call it "open source."

OSI has no real mechanism to tell people that they CANNOT use a particular license anymore, but we can tell them that certain licenses are no longer promoted by the people who wrote them.  The inference is that those licenses are really not the best choice for new projects.

The OSI needs a more formal procedure to allow companies to remove licenses from "active license" status. If nothing else, we need to make sure that all relevant parties in a corporation agree that they want to change the status of a license.  We'll work on getting this going.

Laura Majerus
OSI, Director of Legal Affairs