restricting the use of open source software

Chris F Clark cfc at TheWorld.com
Mon Mar 28 19:21:23 UTC 2005

I don't know what the answer is in most countries.  However, I've been
told by normally reliable sources (Intel's legal department to be
precise, but I'm not representing them (nor Intel in general) in any
way), that "open source" software is specifically exempted from US
export restrictions.  The legal theory being that once you have
published without restriction, you have no control over who uses your
software, and thus cannot be help responsible if it is used in
contravention of US export laws.  Now, if you are really worried about
this, I would suggest you ask at least a knowledgable lawyer and
perhaps some relevant person at either the Commerce or State
Department.  I believe this exemption was not always so, hence the
(irrelevant now) CYA clause in the Intel license.

-Chris