restricting the use of open source software

Steve Quinn SteveQ at exegesys.com
Mon Mar 28 13:27:17 UTC 2005

This brings up a question in my mind... I believe the government puts certain restrictions on the use and distribution of software and other US based products.  For example, I cannot sell my products to anyone in Iran or any one of a number of other countries.  Nor can I sell my product for use in a Nuclear facility or military missile installation.  I have been dealing with the sale and distribution of a commercial software product for more than 10 years.  I have worked with a company in India who has asked us to get involved in possible deals in a number of Middle East countries.  As we have investigated doing so, we found that the government is very particular about who we can and cannot sell to.  Has the open source community taken these governmental restrictions into consideration?  And if so, where is that identified or defined.  And if not, shouldn't we make sure that we are not put in jeopardy by allowing someone to download and use software that otherwise would be restricted by law?

Steve