restricting the use of open source software

Bjorn Reese breese at mail1.stofanet.dk
Sun Mar 27 14:18:01 UTC 2005

Benjamin Rossen wrote:
> On Sunday 27 March 2005 13:18, Bjorn Reese wrote:
>
>>Would it be possible to forbid the use in, say, systems deliberately
>>designed to cause loss of life, injury, or environmental damage, and
>>still be compliant with OSD #5 and #6?
>>

> No.

Could you be more elaborate?

The reason I asked is that I find the OSD fairly vague in this regard.

The above suggestion does not preclude, say, military personnel from
using the software, unless they are using it for lethal purposes.

Likewise, copyleft does not preclude commercial users from using the
software, unless they modify (and redistribute) the software without
making the modifications available.

So the question boils down to this: does the OSD prohibit discrimination
against courses of action?