X7 Chat license... how to view conflicting additional restrictions?

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Fri Mar 18 03:45:32 UTC 2005

Justin Clift scripsit:

>   Under no circumstance, unless givin written permission by the X7 Group,
>   are you permitted to remove the copyright from any of the X7 Chat
>   files.  Doing so will terminate your right to use X7 Chat as free
>   software and may result in a fine.

The GPL already requires this.

>   You are granted to permission to change the file logo.png to
>   a file of your choice.  Under no circumstances are you allowed to
>   remove or edit the file copyright.png or remove/edit the file
>   left.top.php unless written permission from the X7 Group is obtained.
>   For more information contact support at x7chat.com.

I'd say this overrides the GPL, since it's obviously presented as an
exception to the general rules.  (See .sig.)

Whether the result is FLOSS depends on what's in the unmodifiable
files.  Presumably copyright.png is a copyright notice, and as such
no problem.  The other file, who knows?

--
Do I contradict myself?                         John Cowan
Very well then, I contradict myself.            cowan at ccil.org
I am large, I contain multitudes.               http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
        --Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass         http://www.reutershealth.com