Should the three new criteria be in the OSD?

Fink, Martin R martin.fink at hp.com
Fri Mar 4 22:25:05 UTC 2005

Well, I'm the OSDL dude that's largely responsible for "piling on the
pressure".  For the record, I have NEVER created a new license, so I
feel uniquely positioned to pile on that pressure.  I approve about 3
OSS projects/activities a week at HP and have NEVER had to create a
license, so I can't figure out why anybody else needs to.  I also give
just as much grief all those who create any new licenses even if they
are a member of the OSDL.

The question shouldn't be if OSDL members will stop using Open Source
software (or any other of your questions), the question is if over the
long haul the OSI will have delivered useful value to the industry (and
the community) when we get to license #500 and no one can figure out
what works with what?  So, I really don't care about politics or
philosophy, I just want to make sure that 10 years from now the OSS
model actually still works.  That's all - plain and simple.

Martin

| Martin Fink                  | Email: martin.fink at hp.com |
| Vice-President, Linux        | Phone: (970) 898-7076     |
| Hewlett-Packard Co.          | Fax:   (970) 898-4302     |
| 3404 East Harmony Road, MS43 | Asst:  Ingrid Busch       |
| Fort Collins, CO 80528       | Phone: (970) 898-0782     |