Reusable Licenses Re: Three new proposed OSD terms

Ernest Prabhakar prabhaka at apple.com
Thu Mar 3 18:38:26 UTC 2005

Okay, I've spent enough time complaining.  Now let me do something
really stupid and try to suggest a constructive alternative.

I  believe the OSI should prepare a short list of "Reusable Licenses"
which we recommend to any project wanting to adopt a new license.
These licenses should all either be generic, or written in template
form, so they can be trivially reused and approved.   My (personal)
candidates for this list include:

- GPL & LGPL
- OSL & AFL
- One variant of the (non-advertising) BSD license
- The Common Public License
- The MPL (or equivalent: yeah, this is a fun one)

There may be more, but these are the ones I always seem to recommend to
my friends, so I think its a pretty good start.

I think the criteria for being on THIS list should be quite strict --
similar to what Russ proposed -- but not part of the OSD per se.

I believe other compliant licenses -- both old and new -- should
continue to receive OSD certification, and receive the full rights they
are currently entitled to.   I personally (not speaking for my
employer) would even support a non-perjorative label like "Special
Purpose Licenses" to recognize licenses which do in fact conform to the
OSD, but are specific to a particular vendor or historical usage base.

This seems most in keeping with both the historical understanding of
the OSD, as well as the forward-looking purpose of OSI certitication.

Thoughts?

-- Ernie P.
(speaking for myself, not Apple)