Question Regarding Derived Works

Joel West svosrp at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 07:45:16 UTC 2005

On 5:53 PM -0500 3/1/05, David Dillard doth scribe:
>Item #3 in the open source definition states that "The license must
>allow modifications and derived works, and must allow them to be
>distributed under the same terms as the license of the original
>software."
>
>Would a license that states that existing interfaces in the code cannot
>be changed that violates this item?  After all new interfaces could be
>added.

In addition to the suggestions already offered, you could have a license that says "if you change the interfaces, you cannot call it TurboSoft". Brian may be being modest, but I believe that's the main difference between the Apache 1.1 and (New) BSD license is to make explicit that derivative works can't use your trademark.

Joel

--
Joel West
Silicon Valley Open Source Research Project	http://www.cob.sjsu.edu/OpenSource/