OVPL and open ownership

David Ryan david at livemedia.com.au
Mon Jul 25 12:09:40 UTC 2005

David Barrett wrote:

> Nice to meet you David.

You too David. :)

> David Ryan wrote:
>
>> In regards to the idea that contributions be made under a BSD
>> license.  I'm not sure I see how this solves any problems.
>

> I agree with you.  However, I've been persuaded to believe that the
> OVPL as written conflicts with open-source principles in that it gives
> the community no "escape hatch" to ditch an ID and go their own route.

I disagree that the OVPL conflicts with open-source principles.  I think
that the QPL has precedance in this area.  I do  agree that it is not
the right license for all projects.  This is just the same that GPL and
BSD is not the right license for all projects.

> One proposal to address this was to mandate that contributions be made
> under BSD.  As I've argued, I think this is legally dangerous and
> logistically infeasible.
>
> As an alternative, I've proposed that contributors be given the option
> of licensing their new code under a modified OVPL (which I'm terming
> OVPL') that does not include section 3.3.  Because this option can
> only be exercised explicitly, most contributions would simply submit
> under the terms of the full OVPL (with 3.3 intact).  But in the
> extreme case where the community chooses to abandon the ID, they can
> make the extra effort to explicitly contribute code under OVPL'
> (without 3.3), and thereby deny the ID's exclusive privileges on new
> code they contribute.
>
> I believe my proposal satisfies the open-source requirements while
> ensuring that OVPL works as originally intended for all but the most
> extreme situations (and preserves the maximum value for the ID even
> then).
>
> Does this proposal make sense?  Do you think it accomplishes what I
> claim it does?  If not, where do my claims and reality conflict?

I understand the proposal, however, we've already put a lot of work
(both time and money) into drafting the current OVPL.  I think the QPL
already has precedance showing that this license does not go against the
principles of the OSI.  I would like to get feedback from the official
board before making changes to the OVPL.

David.