OVPL and open ownership

Chris Zumbrunn chris at czv.com
Sun Jul 24 20:44:41 UTC 2005

On Jul 24, 2005, at 10:02 PM, David Barrett wrote:

> How can each individual character be licensed under BSD, but not a
> whole line?

An individual character can be licensed under BSD if it is a
modification made by a contributor. A whole line cannot be licensed
under BSD if it is already licensed from the ID under OVPL.

> What about 10 lines?

Same thing. Only the modifications would be BSD, but not what was
modified.

> Or 1 line that took 500 hours of analysis and tweaking using a nuclear
> reactor and a team of scientists?

Same thing. Only the actual modification would be BSD, but not what was
modified.

>>> So again, I hope I'm just misunderstanding the intent of the BSD
>>> idea.
>>> But if the above is accurate, then it's far more extreme than what
>>> I'm
>>> proposing.  If we make section 3.3 opt-out, then:
>> No, that doesn't work. It does not give certainty, and it does not
>> achieve the desired objective.
>
> Ok, I accept you believe that, but I haven't heard why.  Forgive my
> nagging, but I thought making 3.3 opt-out was a stroke of brilliance,
> so I'm reluctant to give it up until I know why it won't work.

Because while you see 3.3 as a "convenience" the stewards of the OVPL
see it as a "requirement". They are not willing to release the source
code without 3.3 being binding.

Chris