Are implicit dual-licensing agreements inherently anti-open?

Chris Zumbrunn chris at czv.com
Sun Jul 24 11:03:04 UTC 2005

On Jul 19, 2005, at 11:35 AM, Alex Bligh wrote:

> --On 16 July 2005 09:36 -0700 Brian C <brianwc at ocf.berkeley.edu> wrote:
>
>> So perhaps the OVPL presents a question to OSI: Is a license that
>> grants
>> greater rights to an initial developer than it grants to other
>> licensees
>> consistent with OSI's principles, in particular, does it constitute
>> "discrimination against persons or groups"?
>
> I think I'd slightly reword the question: Is a license that grants
> greater
> rights to an initial developer in respect of code contributed by others
> than it grants to other contributors consistent with OSI's principles,
> in
> particular, does it constitute "discrimination against persons or
> groups"?
>
> But yes, that's the question. Note that existing approved
> licenses do this in both in theory, and in practice given the way they
> are used. I picked up a couple of MPL points (one of which Andrew
> doesn't
> agree with, but...), and the QPL is an obvious example. Equally, if in
> practice the license is only used with copyright assignment/license
> back
> (albeit in a separate document), I am not sure there is an intellectual
> honest distinction between the two forms.

There is a slight difference between accepting that an open source
license "reserves" certain rights of the ID and that it "grants" the ID
special privileges. An open source license that grants special
privileges to some and not to others is discriminatory, even if the
recipient of that grant is the ID.

The current Open Source Definition does not explicitly prohibit what
the OVPL is doing. Normally, it would be nonsense to say that a license
could grant something to the copyright holder, but through the
license-back mechanism in the current OVPL draft, the OVPL manages to
do so.  I think the OVPL is not in compliance with the criteria 5 of
the Open Source Definition, because it literally discriminates against
any person or group of persons.

Both the RPL and the Copyback license do not have this problem because
they do not require contributors to make a special grant back to the
ID. However, the QPL does set a precedent for an asynchronous
license-back favoring the ID. The question now is if this practice
should be repeated with the approval of the OVPL. Note that the QPL is
not a template license, so in a sense Trolltech is currently the only
ID that has an OSI approved asynchronous license-back. Either the
approval of the QPL was a mistake or it is the precedence for approval
of the OVPL. Which is it?

Chris

chris at czv.com  +41 329 41 41 41
Chris Zumbrunn Ventures - http://www.czv.com/
Internet Application Technology - Reduced to the Maximum