Are implicit dual-licensing agreements inherently anti-open?

Michael Bernstein webmaven at cox.net
Fri Jul 22 22:37:00 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-07-22 at 22:57 +0100, Alex Bligh wrote:

> > But making it hard to merge or forking doesn't stop the ID from becoming
> > a complete freeloader on the community
>
> What would they freeload on if code was not contributed or impossible
> to merge?

Situation 1: impossible to merge. They can make a proprietary version of
the forked project. Forking does not allow the community to escape from
the bad-faith ID.

Situation 2: no contributions. The ID would have nothing to freeload off
of. But that was my point, that it *requires* the project to die
completely for the ID to not be be able to freeload off of a codebase
that is otherwise under a reciprocal license.

- Michael Bernstein