OVPL - wrap-up of objections

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Thu Jul 21 19:43:23 UTC 2005

I express no position on the basic model of the OVPL with its mandatory
license by the contributor to the ID. But the following statement gives me
some heartburn:

> I can state with certainty that large US corporations will
> not accept the validity of the "contractual" rights granted
> under OVPL in the absence of a correctly executed agreement
> between authorized representatives of the parties.
> Post SCO/IBM, post Sarbanes-Oxley, you would be remiss to
> accept code into your proprietary product absent
> well-documented rights to do so.

Certainly you don't mean to suggest that every open source license,
including the GPL, is unenforceable in the absence of a "correctly executed"
agreement? Or to suggest that executing open source licenses as express
contracts is essential for acceptance of open source by companies?

In any commercial setting in which it would matter, licensees will accept
the validity of the license even though they haven't executed it. Otherwise,
they admit to being infringers and will have to stop using the software. It
is a damned-if-you-do and damned-if-you-don't situation for open source
"licensees" because patents and copyrights are infringed in the absence of a
license. That's the big difference between such open source copyright and
patent licenses and other contractual agreements (e.g., NDAs, JDA, etc.)
with which most companies are familiar.

So I hope you will stop confusing the legal advantages of contract formation
-- a position I have long supported on this list -- with the FUD that a
"correctly executed agreement" is the only way we have to license our
copyrights and patents so that licensees will honor the terms in
commercially important settings.

/Larry

Lawrence Rosen
Rosenlaw & Einschlag, technology law offices (www.rosenlaw.com)
3001 King Ranch Road, Ukiah, CA 95482
707-485-1242  *  fax: 707-485-1243
Author of "Open Source Licensing: Software Freedom and
   Intellectual Property Law" (Prentice Hall 2004)
   [Available also at www.rosenlaw.com/oslbook.htm]