Are implicit dual-licensing agreements inherently anti-open?

David Barrett dbarrett at quinthar.com
Fri Jul 15 23:33:55 UTC 2005

It seems to me the OVPL combines elements of BSD, GPL, and MPL -- all of
which are open.  Thus I see strong precedent to argue that the OVPL
itself is also open.

Specifically, the BSD license, as Stephane mentioned, allows Microsoft
to "take" code into a closed, proprietary branch and not contribute
anything back.  I think we can all agree that the BSD license meets the
"open source" criteria, so this seems to be solid evidence that an open
license *can* allow code to move into closed branches.  In the case of
BSD, anyone has that right.

The GPL, which I think we can also agree is "open", is at the opposite
end of the spectrum.  It explicitly disallows anyone to take code a
closed branch -- initial developer or otherwise.

The OVPL license, however, sits somewhere in between.  It is like the
GPL in that contributors cannot take code into a closed branch.  But
it's like the BSD in that the initial developer can.

So the question is: is that still open?  Well, if the BSD is open, and
if the GPL is open, I see little reason why the OVPL shouldn't also be
open, because it's just combining behavior between the two.

The only reason I can see is that the OVPL distinguishes bewteen
contributors and the initial developer, whereas neither BSD nor GPL
does.  So in a sense, it's discriminatory.  However, there's precedent
for this in the MPL, as it makes a special effort to define "initial
developer" in 1.6 (what precisely it does with that distinction is the
subject of debate, but there is no debating that the distinction is in
fact made).

So it seems to me the OVPL is taking the code-closing options of BSD,
the copyleft of the GPL, and the initial-developer distinction of the
MPL, and rolling it into one.  All of the pieces from which the OVPL is
composed are open, and thus to my view, this seems strong evidence that
the OVPL itself is also open.

Where is this analysis off?

-david