OSI-approved license that assigns contributor copyright to me

Alex Bligh alex at alex.org.uk
Tue Jul 12 11:10:02 UTC 2005

--On 11 July 2005 22:41 -0700 Brian Behlendorf <brian at collab.net> wrote:

> Check out section 5 of the Apache 2.0 license:
>
>    5. Submission of Contributions. Unless You explicitly state otherwise,
>    any Contribution intentionally submitted for inclusion in the Work by
>    You to the Licensor shall be under the terms and conditions of this
>    License, without any additional terms or conditions. Notwithstanding
>    the above, nothing herein shall supersede or modify the terms of any
>    separate license agreement you may have executed with Licensor
>    regarding such Contributions.
>
> It doesn't assign the copyright, but it sounds like you aren't looking
> exactly for that anyways - you just want the right to relicense.  The
> above will give you the right to *sub*license - to relicense so long as
> the license terms don't grant rights that the original license does not.
> Since the Apache license has relatively few requirements and does not
> forbid additional terms, it's easily sublicenseable.
>
> Clearly you could change "under the terms and conditions of this License"
> to "under the terms and conditions of the Licensor's choosing".  It may
> dismay certain potential contributors who would prefer to see a quid pro
> quo (why give you a right they themselves don't get with your code?) but
> some will no doubt be fine with it.

AFAIK the Apache license (without the additional paperwork assignment)
only grants the Apache foundation the same rights as anyone else, i.e.
to use the code under the terms of the license. The Apache license
is not restrictive (at least not in the same ways as David was proposing),
so what it does not do (as far as I can tell) is allow the Apache Foundation
to license modifications under different terms (for instance a proprietary
license). I'm doing this from memory and from your quote above without
going back and checking, so do correct me if I'm wrong.

Alex