open source medical software

Benjamin Rossen b.rossen at onsnet.nu
Fri Jan 28 15:04:14 UTC 2005

Donnal Walter

I don't thing that a consortium is going to give you what you are looking for,
and it has a built in flaw; the larger you make the consortium, the more it
shall start to resemble the Open Source Community. And if you don make it
large, it won't achieve your aims.

Randall Burns' suggestion that you use a "toy database" is not such a bad
idea, although I would refine it as follows. Make it a generic data base.

Why not do a complete architectural modelling analysis of your software,
(start at the MDA level) and brainstorm with people (possibly on a mailing
list) about the applications for a system which makes a diagnosis, monitors
the condition of a subject, assess risks inherent in all known options, and
controls or recommends action. Let the Open Source Community find these
applications for you. These applications would include more things that I
have already suggested;
(1) Salmon Farming / Dog Breeding / Cattle Rearing
(2) Engine Maintenance / Railway Safety Monitoring
(3) Teachers making decisions based on the progress of their students? ... to
give or not to give extra coaching,  to pass or fail into the next class, and
so on.
(4) Criminal lawyers wanting to assess the risks associated with getting a
dubious witness on the stand?

Some years ago I published a paper (Nederlands Juristenblad) on the use of
Bayesian estimation algorithms to assess the probative value of certain
diagnostic tests (having presented the argument as expert witness to the
Supreme Court - Hoge Raad - earlier in the year; I had been hired by the
defense to prepare the material). Later, in a discussion with one of Europe's
prominant experts on computer security, Marcus Holthaus, I discovered that he
was using the same algorithms to make security decisions in computer
networks. As you may know, spam filters also use Bayesian estimation to
decide whether to pass or reject e-mail. No doubt your software does the same
- I cannot imagine that it doesn't. If you are not using the term Bayesian
estimation, then you are probably talking about risk adjustment against known
base rates, which is the same thing. I am confident that your software has
huge potential as a generic engine.

Now, it might not be completely obvious to you which applications can use your
software. That is not a problem. You don't have to come with all the possible
fields of application. Once the software is in the Open Source Domain, these
things shall be added by the community, and the power of your package shall
grow. It shall undergo a sort of adaptive radiation in the virtual ecology of
all possible decision making niches (although without forking if the software
architecture makes it possible to add specialized modules to meet these
needs).

It should be possible to grant the Open Source License, if the license of "the
software as such" satisfies the OSD. The fact that a non-physician may not
use it to perform physicians' professional duties must surely be enforced by
something other than the software license. It is illegal for a non-physician
to perform a physicians task. That is the law. There is no need to put that
restriction in the software license. Perhaps a footnote could be used to draw
the user's attention to the fact that the normal use of the software in
medical practice requires the user to be a licensed physician.

And if Richard Schilling is correct, you have nothing to fear from the FDA.

Pardon my arrogance for suggesting what you should do with your software. It
is merely a suggestion, and you are free to do what you like. But this is it:

(1) Change your definition of the project, and make it a generic decision
making tool.
(2) Avoid consortia, and give it the widest possible developer base and an OSD
license.
(3) Make it your project policy to find as many fields of application as you
can (which shall attract a larger body of developers and a larger community
of users).
(4) Re-asses the question of whether you want to keep the specific components
for the medical applications closed. I think you shall find that it is not
necessary, and if you decide that it is necessary you can follow Richard
Schelling's suggestion to distribute it through professional networks only.
Perhaps asking the FDA for their opinion on the matter is also the best
policy.

I hope this has been helpful.

Benjamin Rossen