open source medical software

Benjamin Rossen b.rossen at onsnet.nu
Thu Jan 27 23:18:04 UTC 2005

Is it not possible that there can be restrictions on the use of software for
reasons that are unrelated to the license, such as the law which specifies
who may practice medicine.
(1) The Open Source License can make the software available to anyone
irrespective of their professional background, however,
(2) other laws may prohibit anyone other than physicians from using it for
medical purposes.
One can think of legitimate applications of the software in other contexts,
such as a researcher studying medicial decision making theory, or a
pharmaceutical company looking at aspects of use in practice and so on. Why
not look for a phrasing that makes this disctinction.

Benjamin Rossen