open source medical software

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Thu Jan 27 19:30:10 UTC 2005

Software distributors must obey the law regardless of what an open source
license says. So if you must obtain FDA approval before you can distribute
certain software intended for patient care, the license doesn't override
that requirement. You may be required by law to perform certain tests or
peer review before distributing the software; a mere license won't let you
avoid that.

However, the open source license you use cannot *require* licensees to
obtain FDA approval or get peer review. The only thing you can do is remind
licensees of *their* duty to obey the law as they understand the law.

This is similar to the issue of export regulations. As a distributor of
software in the United States, you are required by law to obey US export
regulations. But you can't impose that requirement on your customers who
live and work in other countries. It is up to them to obey the law as they
understand that law. So OSI has never accepted a license that expressly
requires licensees to obey specific US export law.

Your open source license cannot impose specific restrictions on how to copy,
modify or redistribute the work, or restrict such activities to certain
professionals.

As for whether you must include a warranty, that too is often a subject of
legal regulation. A disclaimer of warranty or limitation of liability in an
open source license may not be enforceable in some jurisdictions and for
some forms of injury.

In these cases, you and your customers should probably consult an attorney
specializing in the requirements of the FDA and other government agencies.

/Larry Rosen

Lawrence Rosen
Rosenlaw & Einschlag, technology law offices (www.rosenlaw.com)
3001 King Ranch Road, Ukiah, CA 95482
707-485-1242  ●  fax: 707-485-1243
Author of “Open Source Licensing: Software Freedom
               and Intellectual Property Law” (Prentice Hall 2004)