brainstorming

Benjamin Rossen b.rossen at onsnet.nu
Mon Jan 17 11:12:07 UTC 2005

Rick

I did not intend to offend. However, you sent your e-mail to a list of
recipients (albeit - not posted on the mailing list). When is an e-mail
private? I suppose when it is form one person to one recipient.

I have no objection to nit picking when it has its place. Legal decision
making is a kind of strange nit-picking with an other worldly logic all its
own. It is quite impossible to second guess a judgment, because legal logic
is not the same kind of beast as the analytic logic that mathematicians or
logicians might devise. So, you nit pick in a certain sort of way; that is
what the courts shall do.

However, I am looking for a framework for a certain kind of problem - a global
approach to the problem of asymmetry between the Open Source community and
the Closed Proprietary community with respect to the patent problem. Each
community has its strengths. The Closed Proprietary community is able to
lodge patents. The Open Source community is not... it cannot, because as soon
as an idea is made public it is disqualified from being granted patent
protection. Since the modus operandi of the Open Source community is public,
this community must live with a structural disadvantage vis a vis the Closed
Proprietary community (at least on matters of patent protection).

IBM has helped plug the gap, for the time being. But how long is that going to
be helpful. I suppose ten years down the road there shall be so many missed
opportunities from the perspective of the Open Source Community, and so many
new patents held by the Closed Proprietary community that we shall once again
become vulnerable.

Now, I am trying to brainstorm about this problem.

It is my aim to be constructive.

It puzzels me that so much rather aggressive nit picking has resulted (and
brainstorming is not the place for nit picking), and very little creative
brainstorming (brainstorming is risk taking).

Benjamin Rossen