Proper license for plugins

Kelly Anderson kelly at acoin.com
Sun Jan 16 09:47:11 UTC 2005

It would seem from my limited research that the GPL is the most common
license used for open source projects. My (primitive) understanding of GPL
is that if you improve code under the GPL, you must release or offer to
release the source code to the improvement. Fair enough.

Obviously, if you write a program on the Linux platform, you are not
required to release the source code under the GPL just because it runs on
Linux. You could actually sell such a program, right? I assume people are
actually doing this.

I would guess, but am not sure, that if you created a plugin for Emacs, you
would not be required to release the source code. I do not know if you
would be able to sell such a plugin.

If you were thinking about creating a core environment that could be
extended through a plug-in architecture (similar to how Emacs works) and
you wanted the plug-ins to be able to be either open source OR proprietary,
would the GPL be a reasonable choice or is there a better license out there
for this purpose?

-Kelly