license with patent grants appropriate for specifications?

todd.glassey at att.net todd.glassey at att.net
Wed Jan 12 16:06:04 UTC 2005

Bob - believe me I understand the legal issues. The issue is that currently the copyright statement allows for a number of "craftings" that alter it or change its content. 2026 for instance had three release statements in it, and those were used to constrain the publishing of thousands of documents, at both the RFC and the I-D level. The problem is that formal lincesning is now needed -

By the way - what happens to those previously granted RFC's or Standards? Do they come under the new licensing model and if so how do you get those authors to agree to it? My take is that you dont. So that means that the IETF is doing a hard-left turn somewhere about IP submissions, and changes between what is a RFC and is not.

Todd

--
Regards,
Todd