license with patent grants appropriate for specifications?

Bob Scheifler Bob.Scheifler at Sun.COM
Wed Jan 12 15:40:42 UTC 2005

> Bob Larry - why not build a couple of OS licenses like the different
> copyright statements available under the current RFC's.

In the relicensing effort that we (Sun) are currently undertaking
for Jini technology (specifications and code), our number one
requirement is to use an existing, commonly used and accepted
open source license. I really, really don't want to invent a new
license if I can possibly avoid it. Ideally, we'd like to use the
same license for our specifications that we use for our code. The
Apache License, Version 2.0 is a prime contender, but when used
for specifications, I'm concerned that its patent license will
not be construed as extending to implementations of the spec.

- Bob