Apache 2.0 and GPL compatibility

Eugene Wee eugenew at starhub.net.sg
Fri Jan 7 07:19:16 UTC 2005

Hi Bob,

Just in case you didnt notice, AFL 2.0 and 2.1 grant the right to
sublicense as well, for both copyright license and patent license.

 > why would granting
 > or revoking a patent license for the original work have any effect on
 > implicit patent rights for the derivative work
This is something of a stab in the dark as I'm a legal layman....
As I understand it, software patent rights apply to the creation and use
of software that implements the given invention, so whether or not the
work is independently created or a derivative of the software, if patent
rights are revoked, then one cannot legally use the derivative or create
such independent software, or even use the software itself.

Also, one cannot sublicense more rights than one is granted, so if one
does not have the patent rights (anymore), then one cannot sublicense them.

Hope this helps,
Eugene Wee