For Approval: ACE License

Rod Dixon, J.D., LL.M. roddixon at cyberspaces.org
Mon Feb 28 18:02:34 UTC 2005

If this license cannot be revised, I recommend that  OSI withhold approval.
With a minor revision, I world agree that approval is warranted. The second
paragraph should be revised. As it stands, I see a number of concerns under
OSD Article#1,2, and 3 since the license appears to permit that the entire
project may be taken proprietary by any licensee.  I doubt that this is the
intent. IF  such latitude is intended, then the licensee world not comply
with the OSD.  Under the BSD, this is a privilege reserved by the original
copyright holder.

There is a significant difference between permitting licensees to
distribute modifications or enhancements to original code under a
proprietary license, which the BSD permits, and  permitting licensees to
distribute the original code as a binary under a proprietary license, which
the ACE license appears to permit.You probably mean to follow the BSD, but
it is not clear.  Perhaps, one point of confusion may be clarified by
replacing " proprietary" with binary.

Rod Dixon