Release comercial application's sources as GPL but with rest r iction in usage

David Dillard david.dillard at veritas.com
Tue Feb 15 22:25:47 UTC 2005

I don't think that can happen in most realistic scenarios.

Suppose Party A writes some software and releases it in a dually licensed
manner, one open source, the other not.

Party B gets the open source version, finds a bug and fixes it, contributing
it back to some community repository.

Party A CANNOT then take that fix and then put it into their dually licensed
source base unless:

1. Party B expressly gives Party A permission to do so, either thru another
license or thru relinquishing ownership of the code (either to Party A or
into the public domain).

  or

2. The open source license Party A originally used gives them the ability to
do so.

I'm not aware of any open source license that meets #2 above.  Thus Party B
would have to relinquish ownership.

--- David  (IANAL)