Release comercial application's sources as GPL but with restriction in usage

Arnoud Engelfriet galactus at stack.nl
Mon Feb 14 22:20:39 UTC 2005

Raphael Bossek wrote:
> is it possible to release the sources of an application under
> the therms of the GPL if following Debian Free Software Guidelines
> terms is _not_ acomplished:

I don't understand what you mean by this. Do you want to make a
license that's like the GPL except for that term? Or is there someone
who releases software under GPL and claims that term is not accomplished?

> => You have to license this application to use in business or to get
>    commercial support.

The latter is certainly an option, but I don't see how use in
business of the GPL version can be forbidden. Perhaps they are
confusing "commercial use" with "keep your derived work closed".

> This application uses also additional external files not part of the
> sources at runtime. At compile time these files are not necessary to
> create a working application. You have to license these files to get
> the application working right. We will not release a documentation
> how to create these files yourself!

That seems to conflict with how the GPL defines "source code".

Arnoud

--
Arnoud Engelfriet, Dutch patent attorney - Speaking only for myself