Release comercial application's sources as GPL but with restriction in usage

Evan Prodromou evan at bad.dynu.ca
Mon Feb 14 22:02:57 UTC 2005

On Mon, Feb 14, 2005 at 10:47:31PM +0100, Raphael Bossek wrote:

> is it possible to release the sources of an application under
> the therms of the GPL if following Debian Free Software Guidelines
> terms is _not_ acomplished:

1. I think you mean the Open Source Definition, not the Debian Free
   Software Guidelines. Same same, but different.

2. No. You can't discriminate against commercial use using the GPL.
You'll have to make up your own no-commercial-use license. You will
have a hard time trying to get license-discuss list members to help
you do it.

> This application uses also additional external files not part of the
> sources at runtime. At compile time these files are not necessary to
> create a working application. You have to license these files to get
> the application working right. We will not release a documentation
> how to create these files yourself!

But if you give out the source, then people can figure it out on
their--

OK, OK. Fine. IHBT, IHL, IWHAND.

~Evan Prodromou