basic questions

Xavier Noria fxn at hashref.com
Sun Feb 13 02:15:47 UTC 2005

On Feb 13, 2005, at 0:27, Xavier Noria wrote:

> It is correct to say that MySQL is an Open Source database? Looks to
> me that it violates OSD #9 since they provide a license or other
> depending on whether you are building a closed application that uses
> it or not, which looks like.

Now that I think, it would violate the very OSD #1 if it wasn't by that
trick, since it is not _the license_ which restricts the distribution
of MySQL together with a commercial application, but it is MySQL AB
_the company_ which establishes that condition.

I am puzzled, those arguments make me arrive to the conclusion that
MySQL is NOT an Open Source database according to the essence of that
definition (I say "essence" because both #1 and #9 are about licenses,
not "metalicenses"), but I've seen always MySQL mentioned as one of the
Open Source pillars. Their very home page says

"The MySQL database server is the world's most popular open source
database."

Hmmmmmmmm.... Where is the misunderstanding?

-- fxn