Best base license to pick?

David Dillard david.dillard at veritas.com
Wed Feb 9 15:49:53 UTC 2005

> Firstly, they want to (inter alia) ensure file format and
> library interface compatibility between different version,

I believe this violates the spirit, if not the actual wording, of section 3
of the Open Source Definition (derivative works).  The rationale for that
section states "For rapid evolution to happen, people need to be able to
experiment with and redistribute modifications."  This restriction would
interfere with that goal.

I understand the concern, but I suggest your client drop this as a
requirement.  People understand that forking is a BAD thing and will work to
avoid it.

--- David