Best base license to pick?

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Wed Feb 9 15:07:36 UTC 2005

> I would be relying on the provisions of Paragraph 4 of the OSD - this
> cant conflict with Paragraph 10 or it would be entirely otiose.
>
> > The license may restrict source-code from being distributed in modified
> > form only if the license allows the distribution of "patch files" with
> > the source code for the purpose of modifying the program at build time.

There is a difference between "license allows" and "license requires." But
anyway, that's just one person's opinion. I don't make decisions about
license approval.

As for John Cowan's suggestion that I allow a modified version of the OSL to
deal with this wrinkle, I'm not so inclined. Sorry. If the rules are simple
and the licenses few in number, I believe, we're much more likely to grow a
large commons of free and open source software.

/Larry

Lawrence Rosen
Rosenlaw & Einschlag, technology law offices (www.rosenlaw.com)
3001 King Ranch Road, Ukiah, CA 95482
707-485-1242  ●  fax: 707-485-1243
Author of “Open Source Licensing: Software Freedom
               and Intellectual Property Law” (Prentice Hall 2004)