Derivative/collective works and OSL

David Dillard david.dillard at veritas.com
Sun Feb 6 23:52:41 UTC 2005

Reply inline below...

It has the same behavior, but the process of deassembling isn't going to
give you something equivalent to what you started with (assuming some sort
of high-level language).  Thus, what you have after disassembly isn't nearly
as easy to successfully modify as the original.

> The process of compiling software is thus very similar to
> photocopying an original document, and then photocopying the
> copy.  With analog photometric reproduction, the process is
> lossy (the "Xerox" effect where a second copy becomes blurry
> compared with the original), but a digital process does not
> suffer generation loss.

Only if you consider the original work to be the compiled output to be the
original work.

> > The reason it matters is that pretty much everyone agrees that a
> > tarball is a collective work,
>
> If I put a book-- a single work, written by a single author--
> into a box and mail that box, the box only contains a single
> work.  If I put two books into the box, then there are two
> works in the box, but that does not mean the box is a
> collective work: it is a mere aggregation of two components
> which are distinct and can be handled seperately without any
> confusion.
>
> The tape archive format, or tarball, is a method of packaging
> content for shipment over the network or for convenient
> long-term storage, just as the box
>   used for the sake of example is a convenient method for
> packaging content for shipment via the postal service.
>
> A tarball of a single work is an archive containing a single
> work, not a collective work.  A tarball of two seperate works
> is an archive of two seperate works, which is a simple
> aggregation and not a collective work. [2]
>
> > ...and if when compiled it is still a collective work, then
> it is not
> > derivative of any of the works contained in the tarball.
>
> You can't compile a tarball without extracting the contents
> any more than one could read a book mailed to you in a box
> without opening that box, first.

I don't think you want to go there.  Someone could easily write a compiler
or a compiler preprocessor so that you could indeed compile a tarball.