new licensing model

Matthew Seth Flaschen superm40 at comcast.net
Fri Dec 16 14:28:55 UTC 2005

>>"- to give authors the opportunity to get paid even when their works were used
>>in the works of other authors and the copies of the works of other authors are
>>used for making money."

That goal is fundamentally contrary to OSD #1.  Take your "new licensing model"
elsewhere.  Furthermore, this is for proposing concrete licenses.  To find out
how to do so, read http://opensource.org/docs/certification_mark.php#approval
From: "Nikolai" <n_k at au.ru>

> New licensing model
>
> This article is my explanation why, from my point of view, the new licensing
> model is necessary.
>
> I decided to start developing new licensing model a few months ago after
several
> email talks with people regarding some ideas about Open Source, KM standards,
> Social Networks Analysis, Text Structuring, Text Viruses and Media projects
> based on citizen's journalism and multi-blog software platform jDnevnik.com -
> http://jdnevnik.com , which won this year Russian Sun Microsystems contest in
> J2EE category - http://ru.sun.com/news/press/2005/september/pr010905.html .
>
> All these talks indicated me that something stops the constructive dialogues
and
> this must have some general explanation. That was a question.
>
> In my understanding the relevant problem is following:
>
> Currently content based business, free content exchange and growing deluge of
> content in the web are lacking in opportunities:
> - to get global recognition for authors and their works;
> - to see what's new, the derivative works, based on the original and other
> derivative works and therefore not to "invent a wheel", decide which work is
> worth to develop further, forecast a progress and trends of the development
and
> education;
> - to give authors the opportunity to get paid even when their works were used
in
> the works of other authors and the copies of the works of other authors are
used
> for making money.
>
> Yes, you can add some other problems. But if to consider all this as a whole,
> see a contradiction between old-fashioned business and non-profit models (with
> their complicated legal restrictions to use content and with closed
strategies)
> and social nature of the web with its growing speed of copying and sharing
> content in every corner of the Earth.
>
> Consider:
>
> 1. Licensing.
>
> I did not find a proper solution among the licensing models I saw. Maybe it is
> because they are not business, that normally must generate equivalent value
for
> its insiders and outsiders.
>
> These models declare some protection of copyright, but author can not see who
> and how uses his/her work legally. In my understanding it opposes free
exchange
> of content to the opportunity to commercialize it. Any restrictions to develop
> the works further (because author does not see the ways to get paid from this
> development) stop innovations and give rise to piracy and break copyright.
Open

http://www.knowledgeboard.com/cgi-site/whoswho.cgi?action=detail&id=118110&autho

http://www.knowledgeboard.com/cgi-site/whoswho.cgi?action=detail&id=105288&autho