For Approval: Microsoft Community License

Brendan Scott brendan at opensourcelaw.biz
Sun Dec 11 04:46:05 UTC 2005

I make no comment on the license.  As to the process, I am not fussed by applications by proxy. I make these observations:

The first is that the terms of the license are themselves the subject of copyright.  In order for the terms to be listed on the OSI website the copyright holder must necessarily be involved - preferably doing the submission.

The second issue, relating to the first, is that anyone using the license must themselves have the right to copy the license.  An application by proxy means that third parties do not have any assurance that they are permitted to reproduce the license terms.

The third is that OSI has plenty of applications for approval.  It should therefore give priority to those which are likely to be practically implemented.  In this respect, having a third party submit a license does not inspire confidence.  The copyright holder ought to be proposing the license for approval and stating an intention to use.

In short the process of approval is undermined unless the copyright holder of the license submits to the jurisdiction of the OSI.  Exactly who does it is not to the point, but there must be a clear chain of authority from the ultimate copyright holder.  I would repeat similar comments in relation to licenses which contain a trade mark as part of their name.

Brendan

--
Brendan Scott IT Law Open Source Law
0414 339 227 http://www.opensourcelaw.biz